Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Hypnotiq



This week, our team did something new and "fun". By fun, I mean extremely difficult, unusual, dangerous and with a high degree of stress and possibility of failure: we raced police cars and rental cars around a police training track while discharging weapons and rolling three cameras. In the dark. Good times.

Our patient and long-suffering hosts stayed way past midnight as the inevitable lateness of our schedule caught up with us- we had more coverage than could be obtained in the few short hours between when it gets dark and when nice people need to get home to bed.

The footage I saw looked great, but I only had a monitor about half the time- Stefan and I were crammed into the back seat of a training car with our A cam plus a lighting rig, and having the monitor jammed between my knees was creating an inguinal hernia in my lower ab region, so I threw it out. We also strapped a DVX-100 to the side of the pursuit vehicle and had PA/APs shooting pick-ups, so I haven't seen that footage.

It's going to look really cool- our police driver was as enthusiastic as is humanly possible. I accidently stepped into an elevator with the show creator who peppered me with questions while I was insanely sleep-deprived, and just exiting an exhausting meeting about another show, so I didn't do well in the de-brief.

Here's what I want to say- It's fucking awesome! The location, props, actors, lighting and camera work melded together into a symphony of visual form that will not only look extremely cool, but contain the essential building blocks to tell the story in a compelling manner that EVERYONE is going to want to watch.

Best show ever!

No comments: